EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Parks, Gardens & Conservation Areas
Accessible Logo
Add this location
to my itinerary

Queen Victoria Park - Accessible

Left: View of Queen Victoria Park from lookout building. Top right: Abundant gardens. Bottom right: Lighted pathways spanning the length of the park [Angela VanGoolen].
 

GENERAL INFORMATION


Queen Victoria Park is a large park located in the City of Niagara Falls. The park is considered the central tourist attraction of Niagara Falls, providing the best view of the American and Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The main structures in the park include the Floral Showhouse, two former power generating stations, the Table Rock Welcome Centre, and Oakes Garden Theatre. There are a number of paths throughout the park, several that span its entire length. The paths are well lighted and are either paved or of brick or cobblestone, ranging from 1.9 to 3 m in width. Although generally flat, some of the paths have slopes that may be too steep for a manual wheelchair but because of the other path and sidewalk options, visitors who have difficulties with certain sloped surfaces are still able to enjoy the park and its natural and built features.
 

Established in 1885 by the Provincial Park Act and officially opened in 1888, the park is maintained and operated by the Niagara Parks Commission. At one point the majority of Queen Victoria Park was part of the upper Niagara River bed but changes in the landscape and increased tourist interest has transformed the area into a world renowned site. Because of the heavy tourist traffic visitors often have trouble parking so the city of Niagara Falls has had to expand its parking lots and transit systems a number of times. Paid parking can be found along the Niagara Parkway, near the Floral Showhouse, across from the Table Rock Welcome Centre and at numerous other smaller lots farther up Clifton Hill and its vicinity.
 

The park is well maintained, with manicured lawns and gardens, statues, ponds and fountains. Trees are adorned with Christmas lights during the winter months and the Festival of Lights becomes a major attraction. Garden displays vary by season, with tulip, daffodils and many other flowers in bloom in the spring, thousands of bedding plants and shrubs in the summer months and chrysanthemums and kale decorating the landscape in the fall. Mature trees line the streets and paths, hiding some of the hotels and other buildings farther up the hill and making the park and especially the paths farther back from the falls have more secluded and relaxed settings.
 


Photo Gallery


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download the Queen Victoria Park - Accessible TripClip (mp3 format).

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Accessible Parks in the Niagara Greenbelt.
 


Hours of Operation

Open Year Round

 


DIRECTIONS

 

From Toronto:

(approx. 1 hour 40 min)

 

- Take the ON-403 West then merge onto the Queen Elizabeth Way East toward Niagara/East    Hamilton/Fort Erie

- After 69.5 km take the exit on the left onto ON-420 East toward The Falls/Niagara Falls

  U.S.A., travel 3.7 km

- Continue onto Falls Avenue (Regional Road 420) for 2 km

- Make a slight right onto Niagara Parkway

- Destination will be on the right


From Niagara Falls:

(approx. 5 min from the Rainbow Bridge)

 

- Head north on Rainbow Bridge toward Blondin Avenue

- Make a slight right onto Blondin Avenue after 130 m

- Take the first right onto Hiram Street

- After 120 m turn right onto (south) River Road

- Continue onto Niagara Parkway

- Destination will be on the right


From Fort Erie:

(approx. 25 min from the Peace Bridge)

 

- Head west on the Queen Elizabeth Way toward Toronto

- After 28.8 km take exit onto ON-420 East toward Niagara Falls U.S.A.

- Continue onto Falls Avenue (Regional Road 420), travel for 2 km

- Make a slight right onto Niagara Parkway

- Destination will be on the right

 


Historical


The first published recording of Niagara Falls was by Father Louis Hennepin in 1683. Active settlement, however, began at start of 19th century with the establishment of a small inn known as the Pavilion Hotel and a stairway down the gorge by Buffalo immigrant William Forsyth. By the 1820s several buildings had been built by other landowners. Samuel Zimmerman, a wealthy canal and railway investor, purchased 52 acres opposite the American Falls with plans for an elaborate estate. A tragic accident left the estate with only two gatehouses and a fountain built. The last of the gatehouses, located on Clifton Hill, was demolished in 1965 and only the fountain remains of the great estate. The idea of a park was first proposed in 1873 but was rejected repeatedly until 1887 when a 118 acre government run park was proposed under the Queen Victoria Niagara Falls Park Act. Many of the previously built museums, hotels and private residences were removed and the park officially opened in May of 1888.
 

A railway was introduced in 1893 to bring more revenue into the area and attempts were made to beautify the park, including a greenhouse and trees and shrubs. Three hydroelectric power plants were built to raise additional revenue for the growing city. After the collapse of the railway, further development was halted until the 1940s. Since that time much of the park has remained the same; some new facilities such as the Table Rock Welcome Centre and the lookout tower were added but much of the natural landscape has been preserved.
  


Further Information


http://www.niagarafrontier.com/zimmerman.html

 

http://www.niagarafrontier.com/mowat.html

Ownership & Management

Niagara Parks Commission

Facilities

- Trails
- Floral Showhouse
- Picnic Tables
- Table Rock Welcome Centre
- Fountains, Ponds and Gardens
- Rose Garden
- Toronto Power Generating Station and WMB Rankine Operating Station
- Oakes Garden Theatre

Admission Fee

Park Admission: Free; Floral Showhouse Admission: Adults $5.65 Children $4.24 Children under 5 Free

Accessibility

Trails, Restrooms (in Welcome Centre and Floral Showhouse), Welcome Centre

Address

6342 Niagara Parkway
Niagara Falls
L2G Municipality Niagara Falls

Telephone

(905) 356-2241

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.089607
Longitude -79.073177
UTM easting 656854.41
UTM northing 4772573.80

Administration

General Information, Attractions, Shops
Oak Hall Administration Office
The Niagara Parks Commission
7400 Portage Road South
P.O. Box 150
Niagara Falls, Ontario
L2E 6T2
Tel (905) 356-2241
Toll free 1-877-642-7275
Email npinfo@niagaraparks.com
Website http://www.niagaraparks.com/about/contact.html

Trail length 

2.69 km

Walking time 

45-60 minutes

Surface features 

Paved, Cobblestone

Trail linkages 

Niagara Circle Route

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY