EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Parks, Gardens & Conservation Areas
Accessible Logo
Add this location
to my itinerary

HH Knoll Lakeview Park

 Left: Cobblestone path and gazebo near the war memorials. Top right: Main sign near the entrance of the park and Sugarloaf Marina. Bottom right: Zavitz millstone, a memorial to the War of 1812. [Angela VanGoolen]
 

GENERAL INFORMATION

 

HH Knoll Lakeview Park is a 9 acre park located in the City of Port Colborne. Established in 1922, it overlooks Sugarloaf Harbour and Gravelly Bay on Lake Erie. The park features a 2.5 m wide paved pathway as well as an outdoor stage, a rose garden, a playground and spray pad, and a number of war memorials. The Welland Canal Recreational Trail also begins at this park, ending at Lake Ontario.
 

HH Knoll Lakeview Park is an important site for the commemoration of the War of 1812. A millstone stands on the upper section of the park as a memorial to the Zavitz Mill, a site near the park where the last shot and the last death of the War of 1812 occurred. Sugarloaf settlement, now Port Colborne, had been captured three times and all but the mill had been burnt to the ground. It was an important part of the development of Niagara as a region. The park also has a memorial to the men and women who died in World War I and II, Korea and Afghanistan.


A number of events are also held in the park annually, including Canada Day Celebrations, the Flavors of Niagara Festival, the Canal Days Giant Kite Flying Competition and the International Walleye Tournament.
 


Photo Gallery

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download the HH Knoll Lakeview Park TripClip (mp3 format).

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Accessible Parks in the Niagara Greenbelt.
 


Hours of Operation

Open Year Round     Dawn - Dusk

 


DIRECTIONS

From Toronto:

(approx. 1 hour, 50 min)

 

- Take the ON-403 West then merge onto the Queen Elizabeth Way East toward Niagara/East    Hamilton/Fort Erie
- After 51.5 km take exit onto ON-406 South toward Thorold/Welland/Port Colborne
- Turn left (east) onto East Main Street (Regional Road 27)
- Take the first right onto ON-140 South
- Turn right (west) onto Main Street East/ON-3 West
- Turn left (south) onto Welland Street
- Contine to follow Welland Street for 1.6 km
- Continue onto Clarence Street
- Turn Left onto Elm Street, travel 600 m
- Destination will be on the right

 

 

From Niagara Falls:

(approx. 40 min from the Rainbow Bridge)


- Head northwest on Falls Avenue (Regional Road 420)
- Continue onto ON-420 West (signs for Queen Elizabeth Way/Ontario 420 W)
- After 7.7 km take exit 21 for Regional Road 47 toward Welland/Chippawa/Lyons Creek Road
- Turn right (east) onto Biggar Road (Regional Road 47)
- Take the second right onto Montrose Road (Regional Road 98)
- After 2.7 km make a slight right onto Schisler Road (Regional Road 27), travel for 7.2 km
- Turn left (south) onto ON-140 South
- Turn right (west) onto Main Street East/ON-3 West
- Turn left (south) onto Welland Street (Regional Road 3A, Regional Road 68)
- Continue to follow Welland Street for 1.6 km
- Continue onto Clarence Street
- Turn Left onto Elm Street, travel 600 m
- Destination will be on the right


From Fort Erie:

(approx. 30 min from the Peace Bridge)

 

- Head west on the Queen Elizabeth Way toward Toronto
- Take the Thompson Road South exit toward ON-3
- Merge onto Thompson Road (Regional Road 122)
- After 350 m turn right (west) onto Garrison Road, travel 14.8 km
- Continue onto ON-3 West
- After 10.6 km turn left (south) onto Welland Street (Regional Road 3A, Regional Road 68)
- Continue to follow Welland Street for 1.6 km
- Continue onto Clarence Street
- Turn Left onto Elm Street, travel 600 m
- Destination will be on the right

 


Historical

 

The Zavitz Millstone is one of two that survived after the mill was taken down in 1834. The other is found at the Port Colborne Museum. The mill was located on the northeast side of the Eagle Marsh Drain on Gravelley Bay, and housed British and Canadian forces in Sugarloaf Settlement. John Dixon, an American soldier, was the last documented person to be shot and killed in the Niagara Peninsula during the War of 1812, while he attempted to raid a store near Zavitz Mill, an event of great historical significance.

 


ECOLOGICAL

 

Rubble from a large fire that occurred at the Maple Leaf Mill on Lake Erie, one of the largest flour mills in the region at that time, was deposited on the lower section of HH Knoll Lakeview Park. This may have impacts on the plant life that the park can support although much of the rubble from fire which occurred in 1960 would have little impact by this time. Ghosts are rumored to haunt the Maple Leaf Mill site, which has since been rebuilt. To paranormal enthusiasts the park may be of some interest.

 


 

Ownership & Management

City of Port Colborne

Facilities

- Trails
- Picnic Pavilion
- Band Shell
- Rose Garden
- Playground
- Melissa's Spray Pad
- Accessible Restrooms

Admission Fee

Free admission

Accessibility

Trails, Restrooms

Address

Sugar Loaf Street and Elm Street
L3K 2N7 Municipality Port Colborne

Telephone

(905) 835-5079

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 42.880886
Longitude -79.254967
UTM easting 642516.62
UTM northing 4749023.43

Administration

Paul Peyton
Superintendent, Public Works
City of Port Colborne
11 King Street
Port Colborne, Ontario
L3K 4E6
Tel (905) 835-5079
Fax (905) 835-6800
Email paulpeyton@portcolborne.ca

Trail length 

0.93 km

Walking time 

15-20 minutes

Surface features 

paved, cobblestone

Trail linkages 

Beginning of the Welland Canal Trail

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY