Functioned as an apothecary from 1820 to 1964. Features Victorian Architecture; restored to look circa 1869.
Hours of Operation
Mother's Day weekend - Labour Day Daily 12 noon - 6:00 pm
Extended hours 11:00 am - 6:00 pm during July and August weekends
Weekend after Labour Day - Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October) Weekends
Also open for Doors Open Niagara, held on both sides of the Canadian and U.S. border every year in mid-October.
Closed after Thanksgiving until Mother's Day Weekend.
The Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) accepted the responsibility to ensure the museum accurately reflects an operating pharmacy of the Confederation period.� The College also agreed with the Ontario Heritage Foundation (OHF ) to operate the Apothecary as a museum for an initial period of 35 years (to 2005).� This agreement was recently extended to 2010.
The Niagara Apothecary at the Sign of the Golden Mortar is an excellent example of high style, eclectic mid-Victorian commercial architecture. The Italianate faÃƒÂ§ade features arched glazed double doors and two arched plate glass show windows with accents of a Florentine "twisted rope" treatment.
Ownership & Management
The Ontario Heritage Foundation (OHF) acquired the property from the local Niagara Foundation, led its restoration, and opened it as a museum in 1971.
The Ontario College of Pharmacists operates the museum in partnership with the trust.
5 Queen Street
(905) 468-3845 answered only when open
UTM easting 656590
UTM northing 4790930
5 Queen Street
Tel (905) 468-3845 answered only when open
Toll free www.niagaraapothecary.ca/client/ocp/Apothecary.nsf/
© 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on this website is the copyright property of Brock University
and Tourism Niagara
. All other information is the copyright property of its respective owner(s).