Add this location
to my itinerary
The Welland Mills complex was believed to be one of Upper Canada's largest flour mills. The Welland Mills is an exceptional example of an early neo-classical industrial building with considerable architectural merit. It represents historical significance for both local connections and the development of the provincial merchant milling industry.
In form, proportion, material and design, it is an outstanding representation of a once prevalent tradition. The Welland Mills building is now occupied by four businesses. The building has been restored but maintains historical presence with old windows and door frames.
The limestone building was erected in 1846-47 by Jacob Keefer. Thomas Rodman Merritt (son of William Hamilton Merritt) owned a one-third interest in the Welland Mills in 1858. Names of note connected to the mill were Thomas C.Street, Oswald Zimmerman, Richard Miller, William Eccles, Hon. Sir Thomas Gait, William Cayley, Sylvester Neelon and John L. Spink.
The Mill was constructed on the Second Welland Canal, a channel that has been filled in. It utilized that waterway as a source of power as well as a means of transportation.
Residential housing; there is also a parking lot located across the street with a bank and grocery store. The Canadian Marine Officers Union is located just east of the building and the Thorold Licence Bureau to the southeast.
Take QEW (Niagara)
Take exit 49 for ON 406 for Thorold/Welland/Port Colbourne
Merge onto Kings Highway 406
Slight right at Kings highway 58(signs for Thorold/ON58/Niagara Falls)
Take the Pine Street Exit towards County Road 67
Left at Pine Street South
Slight left to stay on Pine Street South
Destination will be on the right.
From Buffalo, NY
Take the Peace Bridge to enter Canada (Ontario)
Continue on to Peace Bridge (toll road)
Continue on QEW
Take exit 32 for Thorold Stone road toward Thorold/County Road 57
Left at Thorold Stone Road
Continue onto King's Highway 58
Take the exit towards Pine street south
Right at Pine Street south
Slight left to stay on Pine Street South and destination will be on the right
This page was prepared by Rob Munro and Ken Ho in December 2009.
Below is the path with destinations along the way