EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Local Heritage
Add this location
to my itinerary

Glenview Mansion (Pink Palace) - Haunted

Glenview Mansion, a Victorian house in Niagara Falls seen when facing west on Terrace Avenue. Photo: [Kristie Bothwell].
 

GENERAL INFORMATION

 

Glenview Mansion (or the Pink Palace) in east end of Clifton, now known as Niagara Falls, was built by John Drew in the 1860s. The paranormal stories of the Mansion are associated with the apparitions from two murders.
 
The first murder that occurred in the late 1800s when a thief tried to sell the home to an immigrant, and it ended up in a murder, although the exact details are not clear.
 
The second murder happened when the mansion was owned by John Ferguson in the early 1900s, it is said that a man and a woman leaving one of his parties was brutally murdered in the driveway just outside the mansion while they waited for their carriage and the murderer was never found. Legend has it that on the night of their murder a carriage and streams of blood appear on the driveway. 
 
Glenview Mansion is a private property. Please respect the owners and their privacy and remain off of their property. 
 

Photo Gallery

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download the Glenview Mansion (Pink Palace) TripClip (mp3 format).

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Haunted Niagara Ghost Tour.

 


DIRECTIONS

From QEW North (Toronto):

1. Head east on Queen Elizabeth
2. Exit 57 onto ON-406 S (towards Thorold/Welland/Port Colborne)
3. Exit onto ON-58 S (towards Thorold/Niagara Falls)
4. Continue on Thorold Stone Road
5. Turn right to merge onto QEW (toward Fort Erie)
6. Exit on the left onto ON-420 E (toward The Falls/Niagara Falls U.S.A.)
7.  Continue onto Falls Ave/Regional Road 420
4. Take Victoria Ave ramp to Falls
5. Turn left onto Victoria Ave
6. Turn right onto Buttrey St
4. Slight right to stay on Buttrey St
5. Take the 2nd left onto Terrace Ave
(Destination will be on the left)

From QEW South (Fort Erie):
1. Head north on Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW)
2. Exit onto ON-420 E (toward Niagara Falls U.S.A.)
3. Continue onto Falls Ave/Regional Road 420
4. Take Victoria Ave ramp to Falls
5. Turn left onto Victoria Ave
6. Turn right onto Buttrey St
4. Slight right to stay on Buttrey St
5. Take the 2nd left onto Terrace Ave
(Destination will be on the left)

 


 

Historical INFORMATION

The Glenview Mansion, also known as the Pink Mansion, was built around 1865 by John Drew, and later owned by two other prominent residents who have played a role in the history of Niagara Falls, John Ferguson and Robert P. Slater. The Estate was built on 85-acres and had stables, a vineyard, an orchard and tennis courts.
 
John Drew was a masonry contractor whose company built Clifton Town Hall (Clifton was Niagara Falls until 1881). He then completed multiple terms as Clifton town councillor. 
 
John Ferguson was the second owner of Glenview and well known for his lavish garden parties and generous behaviours, he was also a Conservative MP for Niagara Falls in 1882 until 1891 when he was appointed senator.
 
Robert P. Slater bought the house in 1893 and it remained in his family until 1965. Slater was a businessman and mayor of Niagara Falls from 1899-1901. It was Slater who was responsible for the development of the hydro-electric industry in Niagara Falls and he divided the estate into lots and formed the streets known today. 

 


Further Information

 

http://www.nflibrary.ca/ForAdults/LocalHistoryMaterials/LegendsFolkloreofNiagaraFalls/PinkPalace/tabid/236/Default.aspx

 
 
 
 

 

Ownership & Management

Private

Address

4223 Terrace Avenue
Niagara Falls, Ontario
L2E 3J6

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.112272209232344
Longitude -79.06381048040652
UTM easting 657530
UTM northing 4775102

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY