The park in front of the Grimsby Museum was the heart of the 19th century settlement of The Forty, named after the nearby creek flowing down the Niagara Escarpment. At one time extending farther north than it does now, this was the parade ground for the 4th Lincoln Miltia (1798-1814) where all men aged 16 to 60 had to train six days a month. They marched to the fife and drum of Levi and Billy Green, who were heroes from the Battle of Stoney Creek in 1812.
The 1883 Town Bell, atop the stone cairn, once hung in the Grout Foundry when it was located on Main Street. It regulated the life of the town when it rang out at 7:00 am, noon, 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Since 1967 it has rung in the New Year from its current site in front of the musuem on Parade Square . The stone horse-watering trough, with its raised beaver decoration, originally stood on Main Street opposite Coronation Park.
Historic Walking Tour of Grimsby brochure published by the Grimsby Historical Society is available as a brochure, or online at http://westniagara.com/ghs/map.html
Ownership & Management
Town of Grimsby
6 Murray Street
UTM easting 616495
UTM northing 4783311
© 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on this website is the copyright property of Brock University
and Tourism Niagara
. All other information is the copyright property of its respective owner(s).