Fort Mississauga is located on the grounds of Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club. It is the oldest golf course in North America! A pedestrian trail starts at the corner of Simcoe and Front streets and leads to the fort. This trail was established by the Friends of Fort George with support from The Millennium Fund.
There are no visitor facilities or services at Fort Mississauga, and for safety reasons the public must remain on the marked trail at all times until inside the fort. The public must allow golfers to complete their shots before proceeding, and look carefully to ensure that the way is clear. Children should be attended at all times. No bicycles, scooters, roller blades, skateboards, or other vehicles are allowed.
Fort Mississauga is steeped in history dating back over 500 years. The land was a Neutral First Nations fishing settlement in the 15th century, then under control of the Seneca Nation during the late 17th century and the Mississauga Nation by the 18th century.
In 1804, the site became home to the first lighthouse on the Great Lakes. It was aptly named the Mississauga Point Lighthouse. In 1814 it was demolished to build Fort Mississauga, an emergency fortification designed to replaced Fort George after the War of 1812 when it became obsolete .
Adjacent Land Uses
Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club history: www.notlgolf.com/course.html
Ownership & Management
143 Front Street
UTM easting 656100
UTM northing 4791650
26 Queen Street
P.O. Box 787
Tel (905) 468-4257
Fax (905) 468-4638
Toll free www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/fortgeorge/natcul/natcul2b_E.asp