EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Historic Houses
Add this location
to my itinerary

Danner House

Left: Front door with wood paneling accessorized with the American and Canadian flags.

Top right: Welcome sign for the Danner House.

Bottom right: View of the Chippawa Channel from the home.

Photos: [Burzynski, N. (2012)].


 

GENERAL INFORMATION

 

   Located on the scenic route of the Niagara Parkway, the Danner House was built in 1805 by American immigrant Ulrich Strickler, after moving from Pennsylvania in 1801. The Danner House is a stone building with a stucco finish in an early Loyalist Georgian style. Since 2000, the two-story home has been converted into a Bed & Breakfast after recieving a Historical Home designation under the Ontario Heritage Act. The Danner House has a very diverse history because of the various owners and uses of the home which have contributed to the rich local history.

 

    The Danner House is a one of a kind building, being one of the only surviving examples of  oyalist Georgian style architecture. Also unique to the home are the unevenly spaced bay windows, low pitched roof, and stone construction. The stone construction may be what saved the home from any significant destruction to the home during the War of 1812. 

 

   Staying at the historic Danner House will take you back to the romanticized early life of the 19th century. The home is beautifully decorated with pieces which resemble life in previous centuries. The house is in close proximity to the main tourist attractions at Clifton Hill, Willoughby Historical Museum, and many parks and recreational ares. One of the key features of the property is how it onlooks the Niagara River, offering a tranquil, relaxing scenery. 


Photo Gallery

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

Click to play or download the Danner House TripClip (mp3 format).

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Pre-1812 Historical Homes Tour.
 


DIRECTIONS

From Toronto:

- Take Gardner Expressway (West) 

- Merge onto the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW), continue for about 31 km

- Merge onto 403 (West) , stay on for the next 21 km

- Take left curve onto the QEW (Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie), continue for 84.1 km

- Take exit 16 at Sodom Road (East)/ Regional Road 116 (East)

- Turn left onto Sodom Road - Signs for Chippawa

- In 2.4 km take second right onto Sherk Road

- Turn left onto Niagara Parkway 

- At sign for 18 N for house number 12549, turn left - the house will be towards your left

From Niagara (from Clifton Hill):

- Go southeast on Clifton Hill to Falls Ave. 

- At Falls Ave turn right, continue for 200m 

- Turn slightly right onto Niagara Parkway, remain on the road for the next 3.3 km

- Turn right at Upper Rapids Blvd, in 700m turn left onto Portage Road

- in 1.2 km turn left onto Main Street

- Turn right onto Niagara Parkway for 8.8 km

- Turn right at sign 18 N for house number 12549 - the house will be towards your left

 


Historical

 
        Ulrick Strickler built the home on his property in 1805, living off of his property through farming.  When the War of 1812 began however Strickler faced difficulties, his crops and supplies were taken by American troops leaving him with little for survival. Strickler reported to have had Americans take his items by the Americans as they approached Chippawa. Towards the end of the war in 1814 his home was occuppied by the British troops, Strickler also reports these British troops took from him during their stay. After the war in 1816, the house was sold to Joseph Danner. 

 

     Danner was a Quaker from Pennsylvania, he moved to Canada in 1807. Danner owned the property from 1816 until 1847, during this period he reconstructed sections of the home and continued to farm the land. The house however was yet again occuppied by troops during the 1837-1838 rebellion. Most homes during this time were occupied therefore it was not uncommon. 

 

    In 1847 the home was sold by Danner to trustees of The Community of True Inspiration, also known as the Ebenzer's, a German religious sect. The religious group sold the home once again in 1855 to Elias Sherk, grandson of the founder of the village of Sherkston. Sherk was responsible for the construction of Sherk Road after petitioning to the Township council for a side road to connect his property with Micheal Gonder's land. The road is still currently in use beside the property. 

 

    The Danner house remained in the Sherk family until 1926, after Elias' son Franklin sold the property to Waverly Heights Realty Company. The next owner of the home, John A. MacTaggart, was also a significant contributer to the local history. MacTaggart was the founder of the Niagara Development Association, member of the Chamber of Commerce, and owned franchise rights to Tussaud's Wax Museum.

 

     MacTaggart's daughter Jane later sold the property after her fathers death in 1969. Rolland Gregoire and Pierre Paquette became the next owners of the home, and the first to transform the home into a bed & breakfast, while also achieving Historical Home designation. 

 

 


Further Information

 

For further information on the Danner House Bed and Breakfast, along with information on the home's history please visit http://dannerhouse.com/

 

For historical and heritage information on the home on the Canadian Historic Places registery please visit http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=9755&pid=0

 

 

 

 

Address

Danner House
12549 Niagara Parkway
Niagara Falls, Ontario
L2E 6S6 Municipality Niagara Falls

Telephone

905-295-1805

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 42.998566
Longitude -79.029267

Administration

Helen or Dave
Danner House Bed & Breakfast
12549 Niagara Parkway
Tel 905-295-1805
Email contact@dannerhouse.com

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY