The Fonthill Inn is one of the oldest buildings in the Town of Pelham. "A tavern was built on this site to service traffic on the “Great West Road” (the Canboro Road) probably before 1830. The owner was Jacob Osborne, and the settlement that grew up round it was first called Osborne’s Corners. After the name Fonthill was adopted for the village, the tavern became the Fonthill Hotel, for many years a “temperance hotel". It narrowly escaped the fire of 1888, and in the 20th century has been used for a variety of stores and businesses."
"Beside the Fonthill Inn building is Park Lane, leading down to Marlene Steward Streit Park, named after the champion woman golfer, who lived just up the hill from here on Hwy. 20." Historic Walking Tour of Fonthill. Tour 2. Pelham Historical Society. 2006.
“Fonthill was known in earlier days as Osborne’s Corners and Temperanceville, and grew up around an inn along busy Canboro Road. The two-story frame building, musch altered is located near the intersection of Regional Road 20 and Pelham Street, just east of the driveway for the Marlened Steward Streit Park. A bandstand and flagpole once stood in the centre of the main intersection." Pelham Historical Society pamphlet. Revised 1990s.
Ownership & Management
Private Residence, not open to the public
Municipality Town of Pelham
Pelham Historical Society
PO Box 903
© 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on this website is the copyright property of Brock University
and Tourism Niagara
. All other information is the copyright property of its respective owner(s).