Built in 1873 this historic building is now occupied by the Gables, a local family style restaurant. The Fertich family who owns the popular restaurant recommends calling ahead at (905) 945-1997.
The Gables Restaurant is just a two minute drive down the hill from Beamer Memorial Conservation Area where the spring hawk migration takes place. You could park at Beamer, walk down the beautiful escarpment Bruce Trail, have lunch and then hike the calories away getting back to your car.
This late nineteenth century house was the home of Dr. Theoron Woolverton, one of the five sons of Dr. Jonathen Woolverton. Theoron was at university in the United States when the American Civil War broke out in 1860 and he joined the Army of the North as a surgeon. After the war, he continued to practice in the U.S. and raised his family there. His daughter Nina was born in the Brooklyn Naval Yards.
Nina moved to Grimsby to live in her father's house, and upon her death, her brother Frank who also lived in New York, inherited the house. He married Lily Selby, a Grimsby woman who had taught in the Elm Street School for $350 a year. Lily had the sunroom added to the house and lived there until her death.
Mountain Road Ã¢â‚¬Å“The first road up the escarpment from Grimsby is believed to have followed a route to the east from the south end of Robinson Street, then up the escarpment to Smithville. It is said that it was constructed so that Smithville children could come to school in Grimsby. Its exact course is shrouded in mystery. Later, Mountain Street provided access to Smithville. It follows the course of Forty Mile Creek to the base of the escarpment, then turns east to climb Ã¢â‚¬Å“the mountainÃ¢â‚¬Â. There are traces of an earlier road along the western edge of the present route. This is now part of a hiking trail.Ã¢â‚¬Â The Streets of Grimsby from A-W
Grimsby Heritage Advisory Committee (GHAC). The Streets of Grimsby from A-W. 2000 is available for sale at the Grimsby Historical Society as well as at the Town of Grimsby's municipal office at 160 Livingston Avenue, open from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (905) 945-9634
Town of Grimsby Visitor Information and Events: http://www.town.grimsby.on.ca/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=74&MMN_position=126:126
Ownership & Management
Wayne, Mae Anne and Wendy Fertich
13 Mountain Street