EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Historic & Heritage Sites
Add this location
to my itinerary

Shickluna Shipyards

Left: Louis Shickluna Historical Plaque near the southwest corner of Yates Street and St. Paul Street West(Matthew Jantz); Top Right: Shickluna Shipyards looking toward downtown St. Catharines (Kevin Heidebrecht); Bottom right: Shickluna Shipyards as seen from Burgoyne Bridge (Kevin Heidebrecht).

 


 

General

Little remains of it today, but the valley floor of 12 mile creek just south of downtown St. Catharines was once the location of Shickluna Shipyards, a major employer and arguably the best shipbuilder operating on the Great Lakes in the mid 1800's. During its operation the shipyard maintained several administrative buildings, a mill, a blacksmith and two dry docks at this site. The flat and level clearing, still visible today, is currently used as a training facility by the St. Catharines Fire Department.

 


 

Historical

While in operation (1838-1890s) Shickluna Shipyards was responsible for building many of the largest and fastest ships sailing the Great Lakes, establishing itself as a premier shipbuilder and St. Catharines as a major center for shipbuilding and repair. The shipyard was rarely idle, producing over 140 ships during its years of operation. At its peak in the 1850s, the shipyard employing between 250-300 men. The founder and owner of Shickluna Shipyards, Louis Shickluna, was born on the island of Malta in 1808. Shickluna came from a long line of shipbuilders and after some traveling found himself in Quebec at age 23, where he soon found work in the local shipyards. In 1836 Shickluna moved to St. Catharines, taking over operations of a local shipyard and moving it to its final location several years later. After his death in 1880, operations of the shipyard passed to his son Joseph Shickluna. Louis Shickluna is recognized by both Canada and Malta for his contributions to the shipbuilding industry. An historical plaque on Yates St. in downtown St. Catharines commemerates his contribution to the city.

 


 

Directions

From Hwy 406

Exit at Westchester Ave. Travel south west on Westchester Avenue. Left on St. Paul Street West. Cross the Burgoyne Bridge. Immediately turn left on Bellevue Terrace, left on St. Paul Cresent, and finally left onto Renown Road. Follow Renown Road as it continues under the Burgoyne Bridge.

Address

Renown Road
L2S 1M4 Municipality St. Catharines

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.151841
Longitude -79.248697

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY