EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Churches
Add this location
to my itinerary

Trinity United Church Thorold

  

 


 

Caption Large Image: Thorold - Trinity United Church Thorold - Front view of the church - Stephanie Milovanovic
 

General Information

Trinity United Church was built on January 21st 1849 in Thorold, Ontario.  The new church was opened and dedicated by infamous Reverend Egerton Ryerson who also founded the public school system. From 1854 Thorold was part of the St. Catharines circuit until 1872 when Thorold segregated itself from St. Catharines and became its own single circuit. On the 75th annual celebration of the Trinity United Church, 12 memorial windows were installed to commemorate the many beloved and valued members of on congregation. Trinity United Church has been a prosperous and growing church with importance to the heritage of the Niagara region.
 
Architecture
 
The church was built with a square stone bell tower in the front of the church and in 1851 a 450 pound bell donated to the United Church. The original architect for Trinity United Church is unknown. The church portrays a neoclassical structure with gothic style details. The exterior consists of three bay front facades with a central front tower with the original interlacing windows above the door in the front wall. 
 
Construction
 
The construction of the church was a double wall broken-coursed, squared rock faced sandstone and limestone with dressed limestone quoins. The double wall built church has a square opening that angles back 45 degrees to allow the shedding of water off the church to allow the stones to breathe.
 
Interior
 
The interior of the church has been retrofitted several times and currently reflects an ‘Akron Plan’ which is a basic meeting house design usually with central pews and flanking pews to each side. Trinity United has curved pews made with striped or tiger oak engraved with gothic decorative accents that mirror the style of the windows.

 

 


 

Photo Gallery

 


 

TripClip Audio File

 


Hours of Operation

 

Office Hours:

Tuesday -Friday 9am-12noon

Service:Sunday 10:30

 

 


 

Directions

 
From Hamilton

 

Head East on the Queen Elizabeth Way to Niagara, Take exit 49 for 406 towards Thorold, follow King's Hwy 58 to Thorold/Niagara Falls, Exit on Pine St and turn left.

 

From Fort Erie

 

Head south on Central Ave toward Courtwright St, Take the Queen Elizabeth Way to Toronto and exit at Thorold Stone Rd and turn left, continue onto Kings Hwy 58, exit on Pine St and make a right.

 

 


 

Cultural

 

 

 


 

Further Information

 

 

 

Facilities

Public Washrooms
Free Parking

Accessibility

Accessible Parking and Entrance. Washrooms Not Accessible

Address

Trinity United Church Thorold
15 Pine St south
Thorold, Ontario
L2V 3L1 Municipality St. Catharines

Telephone

905-227-4644

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.124029
Longitude -79.203385
UTM easting 646145.8469679421
UTM northing 4776154.7336059455

Administration

Tel 905-227-4644
Fax 905-227-3735
Email tuc@vaxxine.com

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY