EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Churches
Add this location
to my itinerary

St. Andrew's Church (Grimsby)

St. Andrew's Church is the fourth oldest church in Ontario. The original church, a log structure built in 1794, served not only as a church, but as a meeting place and a school. Before the construction of the log chuch, services were read by Andrew Pettit in his home. The log chuch was replaced by a frame church in 1800. By 1819 a sandstone chuch was completed on the outside, but the inside was not completed until 1824, and the bell was not hung until 1830 (additions continued to be made to the church all the way until 1971). The church was concecrated in 1828 and the Parish decided to name it St. Andrew's, not only for the saint, but also in memory of Andrew Pettit.  The Lych Gate, one of very few in Canada, was erected in 1916, in memory of Linus Woolverton. In England a Lych Gate is found at the enterance to the churchyard and is a place for a bier, carrying a corpse for a funeral procession, to rest to await the clergyman. At St. Andrews it is an enterance gate for people approaching from the street.

Historical

St. Andrew's Church is the fourth oldest church in Ontario. The original church, a log structure built in 1794, served not only as a church, but as a meeting place and a school. Before the construction of the log chuch, services were read by Andrew Pettit in his home. The log chuch was replaced by a frame church in 1800. By 1819 a sandstone chuch was completed on the outside, but the inside was not completed until 1824, and the bell was not hung until 1830 (additions continued to be made to the church all the way until 1971). The church was concecrated in 1828 and the Parish decided to name it St. Andrew's, not only for the saint, but also in memory of Andrew Pettit.  The Lych Gate, one of very few in Canada, was erected in 1916, in memory of Linus Woolverton. In England a Lych Gate is found at the enterance to the churchyard and is a place for a bier, carrying a corpse for a funeral procession, to rest to await the clergyman. At St. Andrews it is an enterance gate for people approaching from the street.

Further Information

Town of Grimsby ghs westniagara.com http://westniagara.com/

Ownership & Management

St. Andrew's Church

Address

154 Main Street West
Grimsby, Ontario

Telephone

(905) 309 0796

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.193287483074
Longitude -79.569971761052
UTM easting 616194
UTM northing 4783272

Administration

Grimsby Historical Society
Grimsby Archives
Carnegie Building, 25 Adelaide Street
Grimsby, Ontario
L3M 1X2
Tel (905) 309 0796
Email ghsarchives@beacon.org

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY