This white frame house was built by Robert Lillie Gibson as living quarters while building his stone house. Upon completion of his house, he offered the first house to the local Presbyterian congregation for use as a manse.
Rev. R.G. Murray was invited to come from Scotland to take over St. John's Presbyterian Church, where he served for 36 years. He lived in Gibson's house only briefly however, because Rev. Murray married Elizabeth Gurney, of the mill family, whose home was a colonial house next to the early Presbyterian church. Called the Brick Church, it was built in 1832 on what is now the site of Trinity United Church.
Hours of Operation
Private Residence, not open to the public
First Presbyterian Manse
2 Gibson Avenue
UTM easting 616490
UTM northing 4783159
Grimsby Historical Society
25 Adelaide Street
Tel (905) 309-0796
© 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Unless otherwise indicated, all information contained on this website is the copyright property of Brock University
and Tourism Niagara
. All other information is the copyright property of its respective owner(s).