EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Cemeteries
Add this location
to my itinerary

St. Mark's Cemetery

 Left: Entrance gates to St. Mark's Cemetery and Church. Top Right: Overview of cemetery, facing East. Bottom Right: Aboveground stone grave markings. Photo: [Jessica Sutton].
 

GENERAL INFORMATION


St. Mark's Cemetery was established in 1792 as a designated cemetery grounds. It was previously used as a First Nation's burying ground. During the War of 1812, the cemetery and church grounds were used as a field hospital. In 1813, the American's seized the cemetery and church grounds to use as their barracks.

 

There are rumors that ghosts of American and British soldiers can be seen wandering and chilling screams heard while taking a walk through the cemetery grounds.

 

St. Mark's Anglican Church was established by Rev. Addison who died in 1829 and is buried in the cemetery.

 

Some other memorable names that can be seen in the cemetery are:

 

- William Claus: soldier, executive council of Upper Canada, superintendent of Indian Affairs

 

- William Dickson: lawyer, founder of the City of Galt (now Cambridge)

 

Interesting grave markers:

 

- Heather: husband and wife, large Celtic stone with full obituary

 

- Robert Wilson: serpent figure on headstone

 

- Elizabeth Kerr: died 1794, one of the oldest stones still readable. Daughter of Molly Brant and Sir William Johnson.

 

 


 Photo Gallery

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download St. Mark's Cemetery TripClip (mp3 format)


This destination is also part of the TripClip tour entitled Cemetery Tour of Niagara.

 

Hours of Operation

Gates open from dawn to dusk daily.

 


DIRECTIONS

From Toronto:
-         
Take Gardiner Expressway W
-         
Continue onto QEW
-         
Merge on 403 W
-         
Keep left onto QEW (signs for Niagara/East Hamilton/Fort Erie)
-         
Exit onto Glendale Ave/Regional Road 89
-         
Turn right onto Taylor Rd/Regional Road 70
-         
Continue onto Niagara Stone Rd
-         
Continue onto Mississauga St/Regional Road 55
-         
Turn right onto Queen St
-         
Left onto King St
-         
Go one block up to Byron St; left onto Byron
-         
Destination will be on left


From Niagara:
-         
Take Niagara Parkway/River Road north towards Niagara-on-the-Lake
-      At the roundabout, continue straight to stay on Niagara Parkway
-         
Continue onto Queen’s Parade
-         
Turn right onto Wellingston St (at Picton st.)
-         
Turn left onto Byron St
-         
Destination will be on right

 


Further Information

 

Niagara Historical Society: 43 Castlereagh Street (905-468-3912) 

 

Ontario Ghost Reports

 

St. Mark's Anglican Church: Addison Library

 

Check-In Niagara: St. Mark's Cemetery

 

Diocese of Niagara: St. Mark's

 

'Heather' Grave Information

Facilities

- Church
- Addison Hall
- Cemetery Grounds

Admission Fee

Free admission

Address

41 Byron Street
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
L0S 1J0

Telephone

(+1) 905-468-3123

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.255326
Longitude -79.068405

Administration

41 Byron Street
47 Byron Street
Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario
L0S 1J0
Tel (+1) 905-468-3123
Email stmarks@cogeco.net
Website http://stmarks.ssiparked.com/wp/ OR http://stmarks1792.com/wp/

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY