EXPLORE
SEARCH
Keyword Search
Filter by these locations:
Listing Type
Canals
Add this location
to my itinerary

Second Welland Canal - Lock 1 Park (Port Dalhousie)

 

Left: Remains of Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal, Port Dalhousie (Old Welland Canals website). Top right: View of the marina and harbour showing decorative ironwork commemorating the First and Second Welland Canals (1829 and 1845, respectively) (Ian Wood and Alex Ayotte). Bottom right: Plaque commemorating the opening of the Second Welland Canal (Old Welland Canals website)
 

 

In a small parkette in old Port Dalhousie, you can see the stone walls of old Lock 1 of the Second Welland Canal, immediately east of the intersection of Lakeport Road and Lock Street. A historical plaque stands at the southeast corner of the park.

The Second Welland Canal was built in 1842-45, and several dramatic changes were made to the area. A new channel was dredged through the marsh at the mouth of the Twelve Mile Creek, aligning the waterway the way we see it today. Piers were installed to protect the channel, and a new Lock 1 was established, made of cut stone that is still visible to this day.

The Second Welland Canal also saw more commercial development in Port Dalhouse.  Businesses were established beside the canal, forming a short line of buildings that still remains today.

The water channel of the Second Canal has since been filled in with earth. It  used to extend straight south from the canal parkette, crossing under the present Lakeport Road and almost paralelling the upper section of the road for about 250 metres before  entering Martindale Pond.

 

 


TripClip Audio File

(more about TripClips...)

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

Click to play or download Second Welland Canal TripClip (mp3 format).

This destination is also part of the TripClip tour 'Touring the Twelve.'

 


Further Information

 

The Old Welland Canals (website). http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldwellandcanals/.

 

 

Address

Second Welland Canal - Lock 1 Park
East of intersection of Lakeport Road and Lock Street
Port Dalhousie, Ontario
Municipality City of St. Catharines

Telephone

(905) 688-5601 ext. 1927

GPS Co-ordinates

Latitude 43.201766
Longitude -79.265263

Administration

Parks and Recreation
City of St. Catharines
320 Geneva Street
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2R 7C2
Tel (905) 688-5601 ext. 1927
Email rcsrentalinfo@stcatharines.ca

Please register or login to add your review to this article.
 
GPS Map Shoes Compas Travel Bag
TRAVEL ITINERARY
  • No POIs selected
Niagara Original Logo
COMMUNITY